Chesterton Quote

‎"Man is more himself, man is more manlike, when joy is the fundamental
thing in him, and grief the superficial." - G. K. Chesterton

2/10/2011

You know you're in Niger when... Part 1

Whole roads become blocked off during the call to prayer.
There's a mosque on every corner.
You hear Akon on the radio, with the DJ singing along - very badly in broken English.
You get a marriage proposal your first day in the city. (Honestly, I can't be positive that's what he asked me... I don't speak Zarma.)
It's assumed you're French because you're white, not American.
No one freaks out when the power goes out, but it's exciting when the internet works all day.
The only coke you can buy is out of a bottle.
You have both 220volt outlets and 110volt outlets on your walls and understand the difference.
Being called white isn't racist.
Having house help doesn't make you upper-class.
You'd be genuinely surprised to see a baby in a stroller, not tied onto mama's back.
Your money is color coded. It's also measured in hundreds.
No one knows what a cellphone plan is. (Everything is pre-paid here)
and...
The only times you can chat with your friends stateside are early in the morning and late at night because of the time difference.

So, to all my amazing friends, if we haven't gotten a chance to talk yet, I'm SORRY! Know that I still love you, and you're the people I'm writing this blog for. Well... maybe a little bit for me too, but mostly for you. Please comment on the posts, or message me! I'd love to hear from you, and I'll even mention you in one of my posts. Best of wishes!

1 Thessalonians 1:2a [I] give thanks to God always for all of you

No comments:

Post a Comment