Chesterton Quote

‎"Man is more himself, man is more manlike, when joy is the fundamental
thing in him, and grief the superficial." - G. K. Chesterton

2/10/2011

Snakes Alive and New Names

Yes, I know I already posted this morning, but it feels like lots has happened today and I wanted to get it down right away! Obviously you don't really care all that much, because you're reading this right now.

Let me begin with a disclaimer: Sometimes I wonder about the believability of my posts considering my audience. What I mean is that I probably would have a hard time believing some of the stories or instances I'm going to be telling you, if I didn't already have experience and know that it's really not as far-fetched as it seems. For example...

There was a snake on the playground today.

To all my dear friends in the USA or elsewhere, I can imagine the reaction I'd get from you if I told you this in person. Depending on who I was talking to, there would be yells, widened eyes, looks of disbelief, and/or fear written all over faces. However let me remind you that I'm in AFRICA. No it's not normal for snakes to show up on the playground, but it's not surprising or shocking either. I'll continue by telling you that no one was bitten, strangled, devoured, or otherwise harmed by the snake. It met it's timely demise soon after it was discovered - probably with a machete or shovel head. Now while this is strange to be writing about, I realize exactly what this is - NEWS MAKING! Because I'd be lying if I didn't want to make you keep coming back for more... I tried to get a picture of the dead snake (you know, with me holding it or pretending to eat it) but the evidence had been removed and the crime scene wiped clear. So much for photographic evidence.

That being said, the less dramatic part of my day but definitely the more exciting part was my meeting with Chantelle McIver. She runs the girls center that I'll be interning at, and after our talk this afternoon, I'm SO EXCITED to get started! We realize that having two Chantelle's on the same team is going to get too confusing, so Chantelle asked the girls at the school to come up with an African name for me. She told me that the girls threw a few ideas around then asked to see my picture. Right after seeing it, they all agreed on a name: Leila. Apparently it means "dark beauty" so I'm kind of flattered. I like the name though, and it's certainly better than some others they could have chosen I think!

So far the only day they have scheduled for me to come in is on Wednesdays, and I'll be part of the teaching team. The girls are all at such different levels with literacy and math skills that it's difficult to keep them all in one large group. Instead they take placement tests and are put into a smaller group that's more centered around their skill level. I'll be working with girls who are continuing with basic math skills - around first or second grade level. Things like addition where numbers carry over, or subtraction where you have to take away from a higher place value. Being on Sahel's campus will really help me because I'll be able to ask some of the teachers for either resources or advice on teaching methods. Figuring out how to teach first grade to 16 year olds will be interesting, especially with the language barrier. I'll be getting a great opportunity to learn some Zarma though! I'll definitely be writing more about the work I'm doing at the center as it goes on - Pray God breaks down my barriers and turns me into a tool he can use in the best way at this school. Since it's a registered national school, faith issues and evangelism are not taught. My testimony will be through my character and imitating Jesus as much as possible.

Ephesian 5:1-2 Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment